As promised, here’s an update on my lemon “bleached” dishtowels. I added some before & after & along-the-way shots above in case you were interested in trying it at home.
Clockwise from top left:
1. The “Before” pic of my favorite Crate & Barrel bar mops. Pretty dingy, and covered with small stains.
2. Next step, cut up 3-4 lemons.
3. Add lemon slices to big pot of cold water.
4. Bring the water & lemons to a boil, and add towels.
5. Lower the temp and let them sit for an hour. Remove and wash as you normally would.
6. Ta-da! The towels, post-bleaching.
So here are my honest thoughts: I’m not necessarily swooning over the results. The all around dinginess of the towels was replaced with whiteness, but the bleaching was no match for the real stains splotched over the towels. But they still do look a lot better from afar so I’ll take it. It was cheap and easy. And the kitchen smelled nice and fresh after boiling those lemons all afternoon. Until we cooked bacon for dinner.