Concrete Jungle Upgrade: Spray Tanning & Spray Painting.

When we last chatted about my nastypants, overgrown, decorated-with-rotting-furniture, concrete patio, we had some newly sanded, tanned stained, and sealed folding lounge chairs, but still had some work to do on the table and folding dining chairs.  Let me remind you again of where we started:

refinishing outdoor furniture before picture 1

Blech.  It’s so hard to even look back at that.  So next up on my to do list was to tackle the table on the left (if you recall the one on the right went straight to the trash – he was crumbling to the touch!), and the folding chairs.  My plan for the table was the same as the folding loungers (so I’ll skip the details since those are posted here).  You can see a pic of my progress on the table below.  And I’m really liking this spray tan analogy, he totally looks sunkissed on the one side.  And the other kinda looks like a giant tan line.  And actually, this kinda resembles the backside of my dear MKY after one day in the sun.  I sincerely hope she’s reading this…

DIY-updating-outside-furniture-staining-table

I knew from the beginning that the folding dining chairs weren’t going to be able to follow the same technique.  They have endured way to much of the elements to be sanded and tanned.  My only hope for them was several coats of a good looking spray paint.  So for old time’s sake, here is one last look at the folding chairs pre-paint.

DIY-updating-outside-furniture-folding-chair-before

And on a side note, the overly-sensitive Magi was not very pleased that I have led readers to believe that she gave them to me in this condition.  So let me clarify.  When she gave them to me they were beautiful green-ish stained chairs from Smith and Hawken.  They were quite the hand me down.  But with our lack of a basement or garage, they’ve just sat outside and aged over the past few years.  Hence their current pre-paint appearance.

Now with that out of the way, let’s talk chair makeover.  I knew we were going to need serious coverage so I decided I’d prime them first, and chose Valspar Primer from Lowe’s.  (Side note I really liked this spray primer and highly recommend it for future projects!).  I wanted to include this pic because it really gives you a good close up of the chair too.  Blech.  Now you get the purpose of this upgrade.

DIY-updating-outside-furniture-valspar-primer

So first step – prime the chairs.  I went with just a light misting of primer since I knew it had to last for 4 chairs.  Here’s what this guy looked like all primed.

DIY-updating-outside-furniture-primed-folding-chair

Bonus points for readers who spotted the rotting leg of this one.  I swear he’s the worst offender.  The others are a lot safer.  It’s a game we like to play when we have people over.  The ‘Russian Roulette’ of patio chairs, if you will.

Back to priming.  Here’s a shot of the chairs primed and drying in the sun.  Poor pasty chairs, they don’t have half the color as those loungers.  Kinda like B’s legs in the beginning of the summer.  And we’re back to the tan analogy…

DIY-updating-outside-furniture-four-primed-chairs

So fast forwarding a little, I followed the same process to spray paint the chairs as with primer.  Slow and steady misting of color, touching up as needed.  I forgot to take a pic of what I used, but it was Valspar Premium Enamel in Thorny Brush, also from Lowe’s.  I picked up the color on a complete whim.  I was thinking I’d use a bright-ish olive-y green, but it wasn’t really doing it for me when I was browsing colors.  In the end I’m very happy with my choice.  It’s a little more neutral, but that means I can add some fun cushions next spring (new project!) that will add a less permanent pop of colort.  Here is a close up of one of the finished chairs.

DIY-updating-outside-furniture-finished-folding-chair

And here are a few shots of everything all finished.  A complete patio makeover!

DIY-updating-outside-furniture-after-1

This one shows the whole patio.  So much better.

DIY-updating-outside-furniture-after-pic-2

And this one was my attempt at an artsy “after” pic.

DIY-updating-outside-furniture-after-pic-3

Look at that glossy table!  And clean chairs!  And Thai Basil plant!  This patio has come a looong way.  In case you can’t remember, how about a side by side vertical comparison of the before and after?

BEFORE:

refinishing outdoor furniture before picture 1

AFTER:

DIY-updating-outside-furniture-after-pic-2

In addition to updating the furniture I had B trim the Ivy and rake the leaves.  All of it makes such a huge difference.  We’ve spent more time out on the patio and it just looks so much more inviting from our back windows.  And the total upgrade cost less than $50 (Free furniture, 1 can wood stain, 1 can sealant, 1 can spray primer, and 3 cans spray paint).  Can’t beat that.

And in case you’re wondering, I fully intend to tarp off all the furniture this year before the weather gets bad.  Considering it took me almost all summer to finish this project, I want to be able to enjoy it next summer!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s